An Ode to Epi-Dogs Living With Canine Epilepsy on a FiveSibes Flashback Friday


Flashback Photo - December 2012- Gibson with his painted likeness, the artist, and his lead vet!

I love Flashback Fridays! While some memories are bittersweet, I prefer to let my mind drift back to those precious moments and relive the joys. Today, as we wrap up November's Epilepsy Awareness Month, I just want to take a moment to say that every day is a day for awareness and to champion these amazing, loving dogs who, even with the challenges of living with Canine Epilepsy, can live full happy lives just the same as dogs who do not have Epilepsy. If your dog has a seizure, always contact your vet immediately, and then research! You are NOT alone! Come on over to my new FiveSibes website and there is a section dedicated to Canine Epilepsy Awareness, where I share all of my books, articles, links to resources, and an encyclopedia information I have learned over the years of loving and caring for my own Epi-dog, Gibson.


And as we close out National Epilepsy Awareness month's photo challenge, here is yesterday (November 30th) Day 30: "Special Photo" of the #30DaysForEpiNovember Photo Challenge. There are so many special moments of life with Gibson. He never let his Epilepsy or challenges keep him from enjoying life! He was such a happy boy! He loved everyone and enjoyed everything we did together! A special highlight of our advocacy, and a lovely tribute to Gib, was when I was surprised by vet team when an artist at my vet's office painted his portrait on their building because of their love for him! What an honor! To know he was so loved and that his journey with Canine Epilepsy inspired so many others, brings tears of joy to my eyes. In the Flashback photo above, he is pictured with the talented artist, Kat, and his amazing lead vet, Dr. Arnold Rugg, in front of his portrait on one of the hospital's buildings. A forever treasure and wonderful tribute to such an amazing and inspirational dog.

I want to thank Kimberley and Rolo of Confessions of a Rescue Mom 
for hosting the month-long awareness photo challenge! Please be sure to visit their Facebook page and our FiveSibes Facebook page or Instagram accounts (@FiveSibesMom and @RescueMomBlog) to see all 30 of this month's amazing awareness photos. We hope you, too, will be inspired, and maybe even consider adopting a dog with Canine Epilepsy!



























Being the caregiver to an Epi-dog is not all easy. There are many frightening, nerve-wracking times...and there is strict medication times, schedules, costs, and a fear that you learn to live with along with the hope that all what you are doing is enough to keep the seizure monster away from your beloved furry best friend. But, I can also tell you that the bond you form with your dog, like the bond that was between Gibson and I, is so special, so in-tune, that I would not trade it all, never ever.

Gibson brought so much to my life...and he still does. He will
always be my inspiration, my heart dog, my spirit animal, and my K9 hero. Through our journey with Canine Epilepsy, which began shortly after he turned three in 2009, we formed an incredible bond. He taught me to face anything head-on, with fierce determination and with joy. Having myself been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, I keep Gibson's zest for life and determination to overcome the many health obstacles his Epilepsy presented, including hind end weakness from the medications. I think of how he loved to give Gibbie kisses, how he would say "I love you," and do his fabulous Gibbie hip-hop dance. Nothing, not seizures, lameness, or lethargy could keep this boy from enjoying life. I keep that with me, close to my heart, each and every day. On those days where I hurt, I think about how Gibson would warrior through and I am inspired to push on. Our bond exists still to this day, connected through his amazing spirit.

I am not alone in appreciating how wonderful these amazing Epi-dogs are! This past June, Epi-dogs and their families from all over came together t celebrate these amazing dogs' lives with an Epi-Pup Party! And what a day they had! Two of the parents, who are photographers, shared their photos of the fun-filled day with me, and I am pleased to share this video of "Dogs With Canine Epilepsy Enjoying a Pup Party!" I know you will be inspired by their joy!




This past month I also had the pleasure of speaking with another amazing Epi-dog mom and Canine Epilepsy advocate, Jeanaann Barnaby from Oh, the Life of Olivia! who was my guest on "The Sibe Vibe." You can tune in here where we discuss sharing life with an amazing Epi-warrior!







Tune in HERE to listen to my "The Sibe Vibe" Epilepsy Awareness Month's Episode with Jeanaann Barnaby.





So many more exciting things are coming up this year that I have been working on as part of my #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Awareness and education campaign that I can not wait to share! My sweet boy has inspired so many, above all, me! So stay tuned, and may one day we have a cure, but in the meantime my wish is that all dogs with Epilepsy be blessed with loving and caring families, and may they all #LiveGibStrong.




My beautiful boy, Gibson, who continues to inspire!





Do you have a photo from your pet's past that you'd like to share? Come stroll down Memory Lane with us here at FiveSibes and join in our Flashback Friday blog hop (we are open all week, so join in any time)! Just post your pic on your blog, grab our badge from below (yes, that's Gibson & little bro, pupster Wolfie!) & link to our blog, then join the blog hop below so others can come visit and see your flashback photos, too! A fun way to relive past fun times with our pets, present and past, and a great way to kick off a weekend!  (To see past posts, put "Flashback Friday" in our Search bar at top of blog). We hope you'll join us for some Friday fun!

Grab our Badge!







We are also joining in the Pet Parade hosted by Rascal & Rocco, , Bionic Basil, and  Barking from the Bayou
Be sure to hop on over and check out their blogs, too!

Comments

  1. Such a great flashback and Gibson will always be a hero to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing Gibson - with his beautiful face and gentle eyes - he inspired so many! I so understand about missing our heart dogs as I still miss Pip every day.

    Your new site looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so appreciate your kind words! Sigh, I think we shall always miss our wonderful heart dogs...thank goodness our hearts are big, for they took a chunk with them. Hugs! PS - Thank you about my site! Been a few years in the making!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful and hopeful post relating to Epilepsy Awareness Month. As mum to a very special Epi-Warrior who {knock on wood} is now 6 months seizure free, we know the 'impawtance' of love and hope for facilitating a normal life for these incredible creatures who inspire me daily. đź’ś

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! May your Epi-warrior be 6 more months, and then another 6 months, and another 6 months, and so on, forever - seizure free! đź’ś

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Shave a Husky? Don't Do it!